Thursday, December 08, 2016

My niece, Emily, wrote this poem for a homework assignment. I think it is a beautiful poem.

I am from an elongated island-
South of my new home
(The nation with one white star)
Where the ruler tells me what to do,
And where freedom isn’t promised
And where dreams aren’t fulfilled

I am from boats carrying me to freedom
(To the nation with 50 white stars)
To escape the ruler
And to reach the land of the dreams
I am from looking to the cross for hope
I am from ending suffering;
And from gaining hope
I am from losing everything
And having nothing
With 9 mouths to feed
I am from two jobs per parent
And kids working at the age of 14,
From not knowing the words of the land
I am from the struggle and the heartache
That my ancestors went through, to get to where I am today.
I am Saturday night pizzas at my abuelas house;
And going on Naple trips every summer
When my cousins come down from D.C.
I am from family pictures by the mall
And making human pyramids in the backroom.
I am in the land of the free

- Emily Muniz 

No comments: